Healthy Sweet & Sour Chicken.
You can have Healthy Sweet & Sour Chicken using 17 ingredients and 4 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Healthy Sweet & Sour Chicken
- Prepare 5 of boneless, skinless chicken breasts.
- Prepare 5 ml of veg oil.
- You need 1 of medium onion, cut into 12 wedges.
- Prepare 3 of peppers, red, green, orange or yellow, deseeded and cut into chunks of about 3cm/1¼in.
- You need 1 of x 225g/8oz can water chestnuts.
- It’s 1 of x 425g/15oz can pineapple chunks in natural juice drained.
- It’s 2 of garlic cloves, peeled and crushed.
- You need 25 of g/1oz piece fresh root ginger, peeled and finely grated.
- It’s of freshly ground black pepper.
- It’s of Sauce.
- It’s of Juice from 2 tins pineapples approx 300ml.
- You need 50 g of cornflour.
- You need 4 tbsp of dark soy sauce.
- It’s 4 tbsp of white wine vinegar.
- It’s 1 tbsp of granulated sweetener.
- It’s 4 tbsp of tomato ketchup.
- It’s 1 tsp of dried chilli flakes.
Healthy Sweet & Sour Chicken instructions
- To make the sauce, drain both the pineapple tins in a sieve over a bowl and keep all the juice – you should have about 250ml. Add 300ml water, then stir in the soy sauce, vinegar, sweetener, ketchup and chilli flakes until thoroughly combined. Set aside. Put the cornflour in a bowl and stir in approx three tablespoons (or more) if required of water to make a smooth paste..
- Cut each chicken breast into eight or nine even pieces. Heat the oil in a large non-stick frying pan or wok and stir-fry the onion and peppers for two minutes over a high heat. Drain the water chestnuts and cut them in half horizontally..
- Add chicken to the pan and stir-fry for two minutes until coloured on all sides. Add the garlic, ginger, pineapple chunks and water chestnuts and stir-fry for 30–60 seconds..
- Give the cornflour and water mixture a good stir and add it to the pan with the chicken and vegetables. Stir well, season with some ground black pepper and bring to a simmer. Cook for 4–6 minutes until the sauce is thickened and glossy and the chicken is tender and cooked throughout, turning the chicken and vegetables a few times. Serve with a small portion of rice..