Spicy Korean fried chicken.
You can have Spicy Korean fried chicken using 22 ingredients and 8 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Spicy Korean fried chicken
- It’s of Chicken seasoning:.
- Prepare 1 box of chicken wings.
- Prepare 1/2 teaspoon of ginger, grated.
- Prepare of Salt and pepper to taste (season the chicken on both sides).
- Prepare 1-2 tablespoons of shaoshing rice wine (optional).
- It’s of Sweet and spicy dipping sauce:.
- You need 1 of medium onion, sliced into quarters.
- You need 2 of whole garlic gloves.
- It’s 1-2 slices of ginger.
- It’s 1-3 tablespoons of Gochujang red pepper sauce (Korean chilli paste, add more or less depending on preference).
- You need 2 tablespoons of light soy sauce.
- Prepare 2-3 tablespoons of ketchup (to add acidity and colour).
- Prepare 2 teaspoons of white vinegar.
- It’s 4-5 tablespoons of honey or sugar.
- You need of Chicken coating:.
- Prepare 1/2 cup of corn starch.
- Prepare 1/2 cup of potato flour, finely grounded.
- Prepare of Frying the chicken:.
- It’s 3 cups of oil, for frying (any cooking oil depending on preference).
- Prepare of Garnish:.
- Prepare 2 tablespoons of sesame seeds (optional).
- You need 2 tablespoons of peanuts, finely chopped, (optional).
Spicy Korean fried chicken step by step
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper on both side and place into a large mixing bowl. Grate the ginger and add to the mixing bowl along with the shaoshing rice wine. Place chicken in a sealable food bag and let the chicken marinade for two hours or over night (until ready to use)..
- Chop the onions into quarters, peel the garlic cloves and grate the ginger. In a food processor or blender puree all of the ingredients together until smooth..
- Transfer and pour the puree mixture into a small pan. Add the Gochujang paste, light soy sauce, ketchup, white vinegar, sugar and honey. On medium heat bring the sauce to a gentle boil, then reduce the heat to low. Taste and adjust as needed (add sugar or honey for sweetness, Gochujang for spice etc). Simmer for 3 to 4 minutes until the sauce thickens slightly. Turn of heat, cover with lid to keep and set aside..
- Take the marinaded chicken out of the fridge, add the cornstarch and potato flour. Seal the bag and shake well to coat the chicken evenly with the flour..
- In a large pot on medium heat, heat the oil. To see if the oil is hot enough poke the end of the chopstick in and it bubbles at the end begin frying. Drop a few pieces of chicken into the wok but do not over crowd. Allow room to manoeuvre the chicken for turning. Fry chicken on both sides and when very lightly golden brown (3-5 minutes) take them out and place on a large baking tray with a paper towel to drain off excess oil. The chicken will be cooked twice..
- When all of the chicken wings are fried, repeat the process in step 5 again by frying all of the chicken for a second time until they are become golden brown (about 2-3 minutes)..
- Place fried chicken on baking tray again with fresh paper towel to drain excess oil. *If doing basil garnish, fry the basil leaves for a few seconds, until crispy (optional). Turn off the heat and remove basil from the pot. Drain on paper towel..
- Transfer the chicken into the pan with the sweet and spicy sauce and coat all over. Transfer onto a serving plate and sprinkle with sesame seeds and nuts (use either or add both). Eat as a snack along with other side dish accompaniments such as a salad, chips or sweet potato fries. Serve hot and enjoy..
Welcome to the official American Food Website, where you can chat with chefs, get recipes and connect with food-minded friends.