French Onion Soup.
You can have French Onion Soup using 11 ingredients and 5 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of French Onion Soup
- You need 1/2 cup of unsalted butter.
- You need 4 of onions, sliced.
- Prepare 2 of garlic cloves, chopped.
- Prepare 2 of bay leaves.
- It’s 2 of fresh thyme sprigs.
- Prepare of Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Prepare 1 cup of red wine, about 1/2 bottle.
- It’s 3 of heaping Tbsp all-purpose flour.
- It’s 2 quarts of beef broth.
- You need 1 of baguette, sliced.
- Prepare 1/2 pound of grated Gruyere.
French Onion Soup instructions
- Melt the stick of butter in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onions, garlic, bay leaves, thyme, and salt and pepper and cook until the onions are very soft and caramelized, about 25 minutes. Add the wine, bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer until the wine has evaporated and the onions are dry, about 5 minutes. Discard the bay leaves and thyme sprigs..
- Dust the onions with the flour and give them a stir. Turn the heat down to medium low so the flour doesn't burn, and cook for 10 minutes..
- When you're ready to eat, preheat the broiler. Arrange the baguette slices on a baking sheet in a single layer. Sprinkle the slices with the Gruyere and broil until bubbly and golden brown, 3 to 5 minutes..
- Ladle the soup in bowls and float several of the Gruyere croutons on top..
- Alternative method: Ladle the soup into bowls, top each with 2 slices of bread and top with cheese. Put the bowls into the oven to toast the bread and melt the cheese..
Welcome to the official American Food Website, where you can chat with chefs, get recipes and connect with food-minded friends.