Mediterranean Rice & Vegetable Loaf.
You can have Mediterranean Rice & Vegetable Loaf using 19 ingredients and 15 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Mediterranean Rice & Vegetable Loaf
- It’s 1 of Onion, finely chopped.
- It’s 2 tbsp of olive oil + 1 tbsp for vegetables.
- Prepare Pinch of saffron.
- You need 1/2 tsp of fennel seeds.
- Prepare 2 of garlic cloves, crushed or finely grated.
- Prepare Pinch of chilli flakes.
- You need 1 tin of tomatoes, chopped (see tip).
- It’s 3-4 of sundried tomatoes in oil, drained and finely chopped.
- It’s 400 g of risotto or paella rice.
- Prepare 1 of couple of good pinches of salt.
- It’s of Freshly ground black pepper.
- You need 1.2 litres of hot chicken or vegetable stock.
- Prepare 1 tsp of dried basil.
- You need Splash of sushi seasoning vinegar or wine vinegar + 1 tsp sugar.
- It’s 1 bag of frozen Mediterranean vegetables mix.
- Prepare 1 of smidge of Butter, for greasing the tin.
- It’s 125 g of provolone piccante or pizza mozzarella or mixture of them.
- You need 100 g of roasted red peppers, peeled (see tip).
- You need 60 g of /2 tbsp toasted pine nuts.
Mediterranean Rice & Vegetable Loaf instructions
- Saute the onion in the 2 tbsp olive oil with the Saffron in a large pan for 10 minutes on a low heat..
- Add the fennel seeds, garlic and chilli flakes and cook for another minute or two before adding the sundried tomatoes, tinned tomatoes and the rice..
- Increase the heat and cook for 5 minutes, simmering to reduce liquid. Season well..
- Have the stock simmering in a separate pan..
- Stir the rice and add a ladle of stock. Stir again. Once absorbed, repeat until all stock is used..
- Check the seasoning (and that the rice still has a little bite) by tasting. Add the dried basil, then remove from heat and, allow to cool..
- Heat oven to 180C..
- In a wok or large frying pan, add a tbsp of olive oil. Stir fry the vegetables until all liquid has disappeared and the vegetables are cooked through and becoming golden..
- Butter a 2 lb loaf tin and lay a strip of greaseproof paper along the bottom..
- Press 1\3 of the rice mixture into the bottom of the loaf tin..
- Then put in half the vegetables, peppers, half the pine nuts, followed by a layer of the cheese..
- If using a large tin you may be able to repeat step 11. Either way, finish with a layer of rice..
- Place the loaf tin in the oven and bake for 30 minutes, until golden brown. Remove and carefully run a knife around the edge, then turn out onto a serving plate..
- Slice to serve, eating it either hot or cold..