Venison and chestnut ragu.
You can cook Venison and chestnut ragu using 16 ingredients and 7 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Venison and chestnut ragu
- It’s 400 g of diced stewing venison.
- You need 1 of onion finely chopped.
- You need 1 of carrot finely chopped.
- You need 1 of stock celery finely chopped.
- You need 2 cloves of garlic finely chopped.
- You need 2 tbsp of flour.
- It’s of Seasoning.
- You need 1 packet of precooked chestnuts.
- You need 1 of large glass red wine.
- You need 1 tin of good quality chopped tomatoes.
- It’s 1 tbsp of tomato purée.
- You need 1 tbsp of balsamic vinegar.
- Prepare 3 of bay leaves.
- It’s 1 tbsp of finely chopped sage.
- It’s 1 tbsp of damson jam (or Equivalent).
- You need of Thick ribbon pasta to serve.
Venison and chestnut ragu instructions
- Coat the venison in flour and season with salt and pepper..
- Heat a tbsp olive oil in a heavy based, oven proof pan with a lid and brown off the meat. Once brown, remove from the pan..
- Add another tbsp olive oil over a medium low heat and fry off the onion, carrot, celery and garlic.
- Once soft, add the meat and chestnuts and fry for a couple of minutes..
- Then turn up the heat, add the wine and reduce for a couple of minutes. Turn down the heat and add the tinned tomatoes, half a can of water, the purée, balsamic vinegar and herbs and simmer for a few minutes..
- Meanwhile preheat the oven to 150 degrees centigrade. Put the lid on the ragu mixture and slow cook in the oven for at least two hours. Check ever so often, give it a stir and add a little water to keep it loose..
- You’ll know it’s done whenever the meat falls apart. Stir in the damson jam and serve with thick ribboned pasta (thick is best so the sauce can cling to it).