Pickled Chrysanthemum Turnips.
You can have Pickled Chrysanthemum Turnips using 12 ingredients and 8 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Pickled Chrysanthemum Turnips
- Prepare 8 of Small Turnips OR 1 large Turnip.
- You need of *Note: Today I used 1 large Turnip. I couldn’t find small ones.
- Prepare of *Note: Red Radishes can be used.
- You need 1 cup of Water.
- Prepare 1/2 tablespoon of Salt.
- Prepare of Marinade.
- Prepare 4 tablespoons of Rice Vinegar.
- Prepare 2 tablespoons of Sugar.
- You need 1/4 teaspoon of Salt.
- Prepare 4 tablespoons of Water.
- You need 2 cm of Kombu (Kelp) *cut into thin strips.
- Prepare A few of slices Chilli *optional.
Pickled Chrysanthemum Turnips step by step
- Wash Turnips, cut off the top and bottom. Peel off the skin. (*Note: Don’t peel the skin of Red Radishes.) If you use a large Turnip, cut off the top and bottom, then cut into 3cm cubes..
- Place a piece of Turnip (OR Radish) on a chopping board, stem side down, and slice 1-2mm thin from one end to the other. To avoid accidentally cutting all the way though, I strongly recommend to place 2 chopsticks on the board..
- Turn it 90 degrees, hold the slices together firmly, then slice in the same way. Repeat with remaining Turnip pieces (OR Radishes)..
- In a bowl, mix Water and Salt. Soak them in this salty water for 1 hour. *Note: Scraps can be pickled together, or use them for soup or other dishes..
- Make the marinade. Combine all the ingredients..
- Gently squeeze the softened Turnip pieces (OR Radishes) to remove salt water, and place in a small container that they can just fit in. Pour the marinade over, cover with a lid, and set aside in a cool place or in the fridge overnight OR 1-2 days..
- *Note: It’s a good idea to marinate them in a ziplock bag. Keep everything in the bag and remove the air, so that the Turnip pieces (OR Radishes) can stay in this amount of marinade..
- To serve, squeeze the marinade, spread the tips to make it look like Chrysanthemum Flower. Add some Chilli OR Yuzu Rind (OR Lemon Rind) slice in the centre..