Beef and onion stew. The key to this recipe is the long cooking time, which brings together the tastes of the beef, onions, garlic, bay leaf, and rosemary. (I'm told that by adjusting the amount of water, this works well in a slow cooker or crock pot – see note below the recipe.) Contributed by Catsrecipes Y-Group. Get beef stew recipes and more with help from a professional chef and media personality in this free video series. How to Caramelize an Onion on the Grill : Beef Stew Recipes & More.
It's a delicious comfort dish to enjoy during the cold winter months. The long, slow cooking time produce super tender meat and a rich sauce with wonderful depth of flavor. This is a tender beef and onion stew that's seasoned lightly with curry powder. You can cook Beef and onion stew using 10 ingredients and 5 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Beef and onion stew
- Prepare 750 g of chuck blade, trimmed and cut into 2 in cubes.
- Prepare 2 tbsp of butter.
- Prepare 4 of large onions, sliced.
- Prepare 3/4 cup of brandy.
- Prepare 2 cups of beef stock.
- Prepare 3 of waxy white potatoes, cut into 1 in cubes.
- It’s 1/2 lb of button mushrooms, sliced about 1/4 in thick.
- It’s 10 sprigs of thyme, tied together with kitchen string.
- It’s 1 of carrot, peeled and sliced about 1/4 in thick.
- Prepare 1 tbsp of cornstarch.
Serve with mounds of mashed potato and red cabbage on the side. How to make French Onion Beef Stew sear the beef to quickly lock all the juices and flavour add the vegetables and saute them slightly to add some depth to the dish This healthy and hearty French Onion Beef Stew is a one of a kind original. This beef onion stir-fry is one of those recipes that doesn't require much more than the ingredients Then simply sear the beef and onions separately, simmer and thicken the sauce Hi Sarah, when you say we can use beef chuck for this recipe, do you mean the beef chuck that we cube for beef stew? Deglaze the onion pan with a little of the stew liquid and add the onions to the pot with the beef.
Beef and onion stew instructions
- Add a splash of veg oil to a large pot on high heat. Season the meat with salt and pepper and add it to the pot. Fry the beef until it's evenly browned..
- Add enough cold water to the pot to cover the meat. Put on the lid and reduce the heat to medium-low. Let simmer for 2 hours until the beef is tender. Add additional water as needed during cooking to keep the beef submerged..
- Carefully transfer the meat and cooking liquid into a large bowl. Add the butter to the pot and put it back on the stove on high heat. Add the onions and fry them until they're a deep, dark brown. Watch that they don't burn and scorch the bottom of the pot. Add the brandy to the pot and deglaze 2 minutes or so until most of the brandy has cooked off..
- Skim the oil from the top of the beef cooking liquid, then pour the liquid into the pot of caramelized onions. Add the stock, potatoes, mushrooms and thyme. Cover and turn the heat down to medium. Simmer 15 minutes or until the potatoes are about halfway cooked. Add the carrots. Simmer another 15 minutes until the potatoes are cooked and the carrots are tender but not mushy..
- Fish the thyme from the pot. Make a slurry with the cornstarch and 1/4 cup water. Whisk it into the stew. Let simmer 5 minutes uncovered then serve with a big loaf of bread..
Sprinkle the beef cubes with salt and set them aside. Then transfer it to the pot with the onions. Lower the heat under the frying pan, then add the brown sugar and stir it around. Be the first to rate & review! Cook sweet onions to caramelized perfection, then slow cook with beef and vegetables for a satisfying stew.