Keralan style chicken curry.
You can cook Keralan style chicken curry using 28 ingredients and 8 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Keralan style chicken curry
- Prepare of Chicken marinade.
- It’s 600 g of chicken thigh fillets.
- It’s 1 tsp of turmeric.
- You need 1 tsp of white wine vinegar.
- You need 1/2 tsp of black pepper.
- It’s 1 tsp of salt.
- Prepare of The sauce.
- Prepare 5 cloves of garlic.
- Prepare 5 of shallots.
- You need 2 inch of root ginger.
- Prepare 1/2 tsp of fennel seeds crushed.
- It’s 1 of large red onion finely chopped.
- You need 2-3 of medium tomatoes chopped.
- You need 1 of medium potato peeled and chopped.
- It’s 10 of curry leaves.
- Prepare 5 of green chilli sliced down the middle.
- It’s 1/2 tsp of turmeric.
- It’s 1/2 tbsp of coriander powder.
- Prepare 1/2 tsp of cumin powder.
- Prepare 1 tsp of Garam Masala.
- It’s 1/2 tsp of chilli powder.
- It’s of Salt to taste.
- It’s 3 of large handfuls of spinach.
- You need 2 tbsp of natural yogurt.
- Prepare of Garnish.
- You need 10 of curry leaves.
- You need 2 of shallots very finely sliced.
- It’s of Coconut oil.
Keralan style chicken curry step by step
- First marinade the chicken by mixing the marinade ingredients into the chicken and setting aside for a minimum of 30 minutes..
- Next make a paste by adding the chopped shallots, ginger, garlic and crushed fennel seeds to a dish or pot and blitzing with a stick blender. Then set aside..
- Next add 1 tbsp coconut oil a heavy based pot over a medium heat and add the chopped onions, chilli and curry leaves. Fry until soft..
- Add the dried spices and fry for another 2 minutes. Then add the garlic / ginger paste. Fry for 3 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes and cook until soft. Then add the chicken, potatoes and 175ml water. Cover, then down the heat to medium low and cook for 15 minutes..
- Remove the lid and cool for another 7-10 minutes until the sauce starts to thicken..
- Meanwhile, In a separate pan, add 1 tbsp coconut oil to a frying pan. Heat over a high heat and quickly fry the curry leaves and shallots for 30 – 60 seconds until golden..
- Once the sauce has thickened, stir in the spinach until wilted. Then stir in the yogurt, season to taste and serve with rice..