Middle Eastern Mushroom Rice.
You can cook Middle Eastern Mushroom Rice using 25 ingredients and 10 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Middle Eastern Mushroom Rice
- You need of Stock.
- You need of water.
- Prepare of celery stalks, quartered (include leaves).
- You need of carrots, halved by length and width.
- It’s of large brown onions, halved.
- Prepare of garlic cloves, lightly bashed.
- It’s of cinnamon stick.
- It’s of parsley.
- You need of Rice.
- It’s of golden sella basmati rice*.
- You need of allspice.
- It’s of Hoyts mixed spice**.
- It’s of cumin.
- You need of salt (I add 4, it depends on your salt preference).
- You need of powdered white pepper.
- Prepare of mild oil (rice bran, vegetable, etc).
- You need of mushroom mince***.
- You need of Drizzle of olive oil.
- It’s of Toasted garnish.
- You need of mild oil.
- Prepare of pine nuts.
- Prepare of sliced almonds.
- It’s of Fresh garnish.
- You need of pistachios, crushed.
- You need of fresh red currents or pomegranate.
Middle Eastern Mushroom Rice step by step
- First make the stock by bringing to the boil all stock ingredients except parsley in a deep pot. Reduce heat, cover and allow to simmer for an hour..
- Meanwhile wash and drain the rice in a bowl. Add the all spice, mixed spice, cumin, salt and white pepper and allow to sit and marinate while the stock is simmering..
- Add parsley to the stock and simmer for another half hour. Once the stock is finish remove all the chunky stuff including cinnamon and bay leaves keep warm..
- Heat 2 Tbs oil in a large, broad based pot on medium heat. Fry the mushrooms for 3-4 minutes or until just tender. Add the rice, stir in and toast with the mushrooms for another 2-3 minutes..
- Pour half the stock into the rice, scrape down the sides so all rice is submerged. Cover and allow to simmer until 3/4 liquid has been absorbed. Add the rest of the stock, stir a little, cover and again, simmer until 3/4 is absorbed. Be gentle when stiring to avoid breaking the rice grains..
- Turn the heat off and leave the lid on the pot, the rest of the liquid will absorb out passively and leaves you with a really smooth, moist rice..
- Heat 2 Tbs oil in a frypan on low heat. Add the pine nuts and almonds and toast while stirring for 2 minutes or until they have just started to change colour. Remove from heat and from stove to avoid the nuts from burning. They will continue to toast in the hot oil..
- Drizzle the rice with some olive oil and mix in..
- Sprinkle the toasted nuts over the rice, and drizzle with the remaining oil in the frypan (very tasty nutty oil)..
- Garnish with crushed pistachios and red currants..