Colourful Easter eggs (bunte Ostereier).
You can have Colourful Easter eggs (bunte Ostereier) using 11 ingredients and 8 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Colourful Easter eggs (bunte Ostereier)
- You need 4-6 of white eggs or a mix (keep the egg carton).
- Prepare 3 cups of water.
- Prepare of Dying the eggs:.
- Prepare 4-6 cups of or jars.
- You need of Hot water.
- You need 2 tablespoons of white vinegar.
- Prepare 2-4 sheets of kitchen paper.
- You need of Supermarket dye sachets or tablets.
- You need of Or natural food dyes.
- Prepare of To give the eggs shine:.
- It’s Slice of unsalted butter.
Colourful Easter eggs (bunte Ostereier) step by step
- If using natural food dyes, do this first as it takes a while to make. Follow these steps, in different pots combine 4 cups water and 2 tablespoons white vinegar. On hight heat bring it to a boil and add your dye ingredient for the egg colour of choice to each pot (see step 2 for idea options)..
- For light peach add 2 cups blueberries, or for yellow 3 tablespoon of turmeric powder, or dark/light orange (depending if you use brown or white eggs) 1 cup yellow onion skins, for pink 2 cups raspberries or any natural colour of choice using other spices, fruit or vegetables..
- Then reduce the heat to low and simmer for about 30 minutes. Let the mixture cool down. Once cool enough strain the dye (keeping only the liquid) and transfer into bowls..
- In the meantime as the natural food dye mixture cools, in a large saucepan, place the eggs at the bottom and cover with cold water by 1 inch above the eggs. Cover saucepan with a lid and bring water to a boil over high heat. Once the water is boiling, then turn heat to medium high and set the timer between 6 – 7 minutes hard boiled eggs..
- While the eggs cook prepare the shop bought dyes. Put the sachets or tablets (break it up to dissolve them quicker) into each plastic cups or jars. Then pour hot water into each cup. Fill each up but not right to the top. Leave enough room for the egg so the water does not spill out. To each cup add the vinegar (this helps the colour be more vibrant during the dying process) and stir each one to mix up the dye..
- Once the eggs are cooked, remove from heat and drain the water and transfer onto a plate. Add the strained egg(s) to either the natural (placing eggs in the pot) and let soak for about 30 minutes. Or to the shop bought dye (placing them in each cup or jar) and let it sit there for a 5 minutes to let the eggs soak in the colour..
- Pre-line a plate with 2 sheets of kitchen paper. Once the eggs looked dyed enough or reached the desired colour, using a slotted spoon remove from the pot(s) or cup(s) and transfer onto the plate. Pat each egg gently with paper towels..
- While the eggs are still warm, on kitchen paper add a small amount of butter and then pick up a coloured egg. Very gently press and turn the egg in the butter all over to give it shine. Using the empty egg carton, transfer the shined eggs back inside. When ready to eat, serve eggs with bread and assorted side dishes such as ham..