French Traditional Recipe Onion Soup.
You can cook French Traditional Recipe Onion Soup using 11 ingredients and 9 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of French Traditional Recipe Onion Soup
- You need 6 of large and sweet onions.
- Prepare 30 ml (1 oz) of extra virgin olive oil (2 tablespoons).
- Prepare 60 g (2 oz) of butter.
- Prepare 1 clove of garlic.
- Prepare 2 (70 oz.) of Liters of meat broth.
- Prepare 12 slices of baguette bread.
- You need 3 tablespoons of wheat flour.
- You need 1 teaspoon of sugar.
- You need of Salt and freshly ground black pepper (to taste).
- It’s 30 ml (1 oz) of brandy or cognac.
- It’s 120 g (4 oz) of soft grated cheese (Gruyère type).
French Traditional Recipe Onion Soup step by step
- In this Onion French Soup we must use sweet onions, we will find them in any market. If another type of onion is used but the flavor will no longer be equally soft and sweet.
- Peel the sweet onions and cut them into julienne (lengthwise and thinly sliced). we put them in a bowl..
- We choose a large casserole, heat the oil in the bottom of the casserole. We add butter, which is the true basis of this French soup..
- When it has melted and mixed with the olive oil, add the onions and finely chopped garlic.
- If we have not used sweet onions, add a spoonful of sugar. Sprinkle the flour in the pan and stir gently to mix well. The effect of the flour with the onion and especially the butter is called Roux, it will help us to bind and thicken the soup..
- Add the brandy and let 2 minutes evaporate to the alcohol..
- We introduce the broth that could be meat, vegetables or chicken. Bring all these ingredients to a boil for 15-20 minutes over a very low heat. Cut the bread into thin slices and toast them lightl.
- Onion French Soup, is a liquid soup but it can be transformed into creamy. It adds a little starch that gives a texture between soup and cream. A recipe worthy of both a first course and a main one in a simple and special dinner for cold nights.
Welcome to the official American Food Website, where you can chat with chefs, get recipes and connect with food-minded friends.